[sclug] High Res Screen Shots

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 10:38:19 UTC 2006

right... another brain teaser for the collective sclug brain.....

We are in the process of producing large printed banners (around 2m
tall).  The problem is that our boss would like screen shots of our
website taking up quite prominent roles in the banner - perhaps 80-90cm
wide.  A simple screen shot using ksnapshot is of course just 72dpi and
1000 odd pixels wide depending on your screen resolution.  Printing this
at 300dpi means a pretty damn small image on the banner!

Seeing as how the text on the webpage and the window decorations are all
vector based, I wondered whether there was any way I could store a
screenshot as a vector image file such as eps or similar?   Images on
the website would of course be crappy still but I could replace these
with high resolution copies in Gimp or Photoshop afterwards.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Pete