[sclug] High Res Screen Shots

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 12:42:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Peter Brewer wrote:

> right... another brain teaser for the collective sclug brain.....
>

> We are in the process of producing large printed banners (around 2m tall).
> The problem is that our boss would like screen shots of our website taking up
> quite prominent roles in the banner - perhaps 80-90cm wide.  A simple screen
> shot using ksnapshot is of course just 72dpi and 1000 odd pixels wide
> depending on your screen resolution.  Printing this at 300dpi means a pretty
> damn small image on the banner!

How about starting X with a massive virtual desktop size? 8MB of video RAM
is good for 1600x1200 at 32bpp, so a modern 256MB card should be good enough
for >=8800x6600 at 32bpp. That would give a 30" wide image.

> Pete

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?