[sclug] Mail Daemons

Darren Davison darren at davisononline.org
Mon Sep 11 18:59:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 05:20:46PM +0100, Gareth Llewellyn wrote:
> Anyhow, these systems are FreeBSD4 and have virtually nothing installed.
>
> Are there any suggestions for a decent IMAP/SMTP combo to throw on them?

I don't host externally, but I do run my own mail server.  I've found
postfix to be an extremely capable SMTP server and one that can be
configured without losing sanity.  Exim is equally highly regarded, though
I've never used it personally.   Unless you're already a guru, I'd steer
clear of sendmail.

For IMAP I use courier, and for web mail, SquirrelMail (although that does
involve PHP and all its security baggage).

PS: don't reply to an existing thread in order to start a new one.  For
those of us (the majority on this list I suspect) that use a proper mail
reader (ie not X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510) it
screws up the threading.  Thanks :)

--
Darren Davison
Public Key: 0xE855B3EA