[sclug] This is sad a confession

Graham lists at Information-Cascade.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 13:41:58 UTC 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:39:33 +0100
> From: ed <ed at s5h.net>
> Subject: Re: [sclug] This is sad a confession

> Hi, I was not sure who you were so I took a look at your webpage and
> see that you're into music and bands. One thing people who are really
> into their music ask me is what is the audio support like on
> unix/linux. To be honest I don't use the audio side of things for more
> than just listening to music (xmms/bmp) and converting music from those
> horrid .wav files into smaller .mp3 files, I can thank the authors of
> sox/lame for that.
>
> The last time I did anything remotely audio recoding was to convert a
> tape into a mp3 file for a friend, I can't even remember what I used
> for that.
>
> What audio programs have you found useful?
>
> --

I tried to use SOX to split a 2 hour recording into sections,
but somehow it didnt "seek" to the middle, each section
was from the start

# sox ./mic2b.wav -t wav -s -w - trim 01:05:20.0 00:02:47.0 \
| lame -h --vbr-new -V 4 - mic2b/19_Harp_piece_3.mp3

# file mic1.wav
mic1.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft ADPCM, mono
8000 Hz

So I looked at the SOX source, which has a generic API that worked well
from C++ except st_seek( f, samplecount, ST_SEEK_SET ); failed on ADPCM.

The recording was naff, so I got bored and stopped, but it made me think
of what I wanted (apart from hindsight to get a better recording).
What tools are there to edit a long 'tape' into tracks?
maybe tapering volume, noise-reduction, splice-edits, apply filters  ...
at different locations, according to some script or storyboard.
If at all possible, I'd like to retain a universal clock and file-id,
so that I can track samples back to the original file position,
and maybe locate matching positions on a different microphones file.

If I have to convert the original input file to a master file
(with added time markers, broadly seekable positions, and some
lossless compression) what format / software is out there? ogg?

Is there a mixer-splicer that works for tracks bigger than 3 minutes?
If I have multiple files with staggered start times, and possibly
different resolutions, what can I do to stereo(+) mix them?
Is there a reading rexima meeting where these things happen?
What software do you use? Does it do what you want?

--
Graham

P.S. Excellent web site