[sclug] This is sad a confession

ed ed at s5h.net
Sat Apr 7 15:35:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:41:58 +0100
Graham <lists at Information-Cascade.co.uk> wrote:

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:39:33 +0100
> > From: ed <ed at s5h.net>
> > Subject: Re: [sclug] This is sad a confession
>
> > Hi, I was not sure who you were so I took a look at your webpage and
> > see that you're into music and bands. One thing people who are
> > really into their music ask me is what is the audio support like on
> > unix/linux. To be honest I don't use the audio side of things for
> > more than just listening to music (xmms/bmp) and converting music
> > from those horrid .wav files into smaller .mp3 files, I can thank
> > the authors of sox/lame for that.
> >
> > The last time I did anything remotely audio recoding was to convert
> > a tape into a mp3 file for a friend, I can't even remember what I
> > used for that.
> >
> > What audio programs have you found useful?
> >
> > --
>
> I tried to use SOX to split a 2 hour recording into sections,
> but somehow it didnt "seek" to the middle, each section
> was from the start
>
> # sox ./mic2b.wav -t wav -s -w - trim 01:05:20.0 00:02:47.0 \
> | lame -h --vbr-new -V 4 - mic2b/19_Harp_piece_3.mp3
>
> # file mic1.wav
> mic1.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft ADPCM, mono
> 8000 Hz
>
> So I looked at the SOX source, which has a generic API that worked
> well from C++ except st_seek( f, samplecount, ST_SEEK_SET ); failed
> on ADPCM.
>
> The recording was naff, so I got bored and stopped, but it made me
> think of what I wanted (apart from hindsight to get a better
> recording). What tools are there to edit a long 'tape' into tracks?
> maybe tapering volume, noise-reduction, splice-edits, apply
> filters  ... at different locations, according to some script or
> storyboard. If at all possible, I'd like to retain a universal clock
> and file-id, so that I can track samples back to the original file
> position, and maybe locate matching positions on a different
> microphones file.
>
> If I have to convert the original input file to a master file
> (with added time markers, broadly seekable positions, and some
> lossless compression) what format / software is out there? ogg?
>
> Is there a mixer-splicer that works for tracks bigger than 3 minutes?
> If I have multiple files with staggered start times, and possibly
> different resolutions, what can I do to stereo(+) mix them?
> Is there a reading rexima meeting where these things happen?
> What software do you use? Does it do what you want?

i dont know if this mail list allows attachments, as i've not seen
anything attached i'll assume not. i've attached the perl script and it
should be available from this url:

http://s5h.net/code/cuesheet.pl

i wrote it to convert a mp3 i think (memory is fuzzy) to a wav from a
cuesheet (now maybe you know where this anger stems!).

--
The PRI to the mcu is reporting a faulty control module because of All
your base are belong to us. Pac Bell is blaming George Lucas