[sclug] good vfm hosting providers?

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Wed Dec 12 15:51:46 UTC 2007

Hia,

Ah yes, 123-Reg. Ho-hum.

For what it's worth, I work for an ISP that provides hosting -- www.skymarket.co.uk.

Our prices aren't the cheapest out there, so I suspect you won't end up coming to us (we tend to target the higher end of the market and resellers, focusing on reliability and quality support rather than price), but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

The trouble with hosting these days is that most of the big/cheap players are busy busying each other out and cutting corners on their services to compete with each other. The headline stats (webspace, bandwidth, etc) look fantastic, but as you've seen with 123-Reg, there are always caveats. (anyone remember uk2.net and their 2p domain names?)

Anyway, if price really is an important factor, your best bet is to host in the US. There are several server farms out there which are priced low enough to wipe out anything this side of the pond, and they should have all the services you need.

Hope that helps.  :-)

    SimonC.