[sclug] Who has the key to your Vista PC?

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 8 16:57:37 UTC 2007

Tom Chance wrote:
> Of course with Vista it's also a matter of not being able to watch certain content well or at all due to DRM, which Linux is entirely free of.

The bosses new laptop was suspended and when he got home it would
not wake up - evidently the preinstalled vista video drivers do not
know to wake up so he has to crash the machine and reboot.
 From someone in the know this is a common problem with vista.

At least with Linux you could get in via ssh and correct things.
I suggested he install tightVNC so that we could see the
screen but evidently MS have nixed this under vista.

Also putty no longer works under vista - a very simple putty conection
on the local network is blocked by the MS firewall.

Everyone has told him to "downgrade" to XP - where at least he
knows his tools will work...

Jacqui