[sclug] Who has the key to your Vista PC?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 00:36:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Jacqui Caren wrote:

> Tom Chance wrote:
>> Of course with Vista it's also a matter of not being able to watch certain
>> content well or at all due to DRM, which Linux is entirely free of.
>
> The bosses new laptop was suspended and when he got home it would
> not wake up - evidently the preinstalled vista video drivers do not
> know to wake up so he has to crash the machine and reboot.
> From someone in the know this is a common problem with vista.
>
> At least with Linux you could get in via ssh and correct things.

Not necessarily; I gave up on using the closed nVidia drivers on my laptop
once nVidia (seemingly) decided to stop testing them on Geforce 2go
hardware. Every version released for the preceding 6 months or so locked my
machine hard. I lost 3D acceleration, and gained swsusp compatibility, which
is actually more useful to me.

> Jacqui

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>