[sclug] Flat-screen monitors

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 18:32:32 UTC 2007

David Given wrote:
> Also on the subject of recommendations...
>
> I've finally got sick of my 14" CRT monitor. I want a 17" flat-screen.
> Anything in particular I should look for / avoid? Brands, technologies, etc?
> (I do want TFT vs. LCD, don't I?)

FWIW, I recently got an Acer 17" for a server (a bit extravagant
perhaps, but a CRT wouldn't have fit in the wardrobe^Wserver cabinet,
and this server needs to run X from time to time). Haven't used it much
so far, but it seems solidly built, the sharpness and contrast is at
least as good as my main workstn monitor and overall I'm very happy with it.

If it isn't a

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=9541&category_id=38&manufacturer_id=0

then it's almost certainly something very similar.

FWIW it uses an old-school VGA cable rather than DVI (hmmm - come to
think of it, doesn't that interconnect spec have some kind of
objectionable DRM hooks built into it, or am I thinking of something else?).

Pace other people's comments about DVI being clearer (I've never used it
yet so I can't comment), in my experience the picture quality of a VGA
interconnect is strongly dependent on the quality and length of the
cable. If you use the cable which comes with the monitor, it's likely to
be OK, but if you use extension cables or KVMs (esp. non-electronic
ones) the picture sharpness degrades severely.

One point which is probably obvious but I'll mention it anyway: do make
sure that you're happy to run at whatever the new monitor's native
resolution is. If you need to run at a lower res for whatever reason
(eg. a game your box is struggling with) the image quality will be
sucktastic, unlike a CRT which won't care.

HTH

Will.