[sclug] duplicate mail

Jonathan H N Chin jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 17:22:21 UTC 2007

Dickon Hood <sclug at splurge.fluff.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 10:13:05 +0100, Darren Davison wrote:
> : does anyone know why I might be receiving duplicate copies of most (but not
> : all) sclug list mail? [...]
> It's a bug in Tom's mail setup, from what I can tell.  I've no idea what
> or why, but this is the only list to reliably and repeatedly duplicate
> mail.

It is probably just because most people are too lazy to clean up
the To: and Cc: headers. For example, I expect Darren to receive
two copies of this message (I left his address in To:) but Dickon
to only receive one copy (I removed him).

This appears to be a mailman list and it seems Mailman has a
"no dupes" option. It just needs to be turned on.
(If it is already on, I don't know what is causing the duplicates.)

http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Changing+mail+delivery
|>  7.2 How can I avoid getting duplicate messages? (duplicates option)
|>
|>  Mailman can't completely stop you from getting duplicate messages,
|>  but it can help. One common reason people get multiple copies of a
|>  mail is that the sender has used a "group reply" function to send mail
|>  to both the list and some number of individuals. If you want to avoid
|>  getting these messages, Mailman can be set to check and see if you
|>  are in the To: or CC: lines of the message. If your address appears
|>  there, then Mailman can be told not to deliver another copy to you.
|>
|>  To turn this on or off using the web interface:
|>
|>     1. Log in to your member options page. (See Section 3.1 for more
|>        details on how to do this.)
|>     2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the section marked
|>        "Avoid duplicate copies of messages?" and change the value
|>        accordingly.
|>
|>  This can also be changed for multiple lists at the same time if you
|>  are subscribed to more than one list on the same domain. See Section
|>  10.1 for information about changing settings globally.
|>
|>  To turn this on or off using the email interface:
|>
|>     1. Send a mail to LISTNAME-request at DOMAIN with the command set
|>        duplicates on or set duplicates off.
|>        Commands can appear in either the body or the subject of the
|>        message. (See Section 3.2 for more information about sending
|>        mail commands.)
|>     2. Set it to "on" to receive list copies of messages already sent
|>        to you, set it to "off" to avoid receiving these duplicates.

-jonathan

--
Jonathan H N Chin, 2 dan | deputy computer | Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
<jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk> | systems mangler | tel/fax: +44 1223 767091/330508

                "respondeo etsi mutabor" --Rosenstock-Huessy