[sclug] (Reiser)

ed ed at s5h.net
Mon Apr 28 20:38:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:20:25 +0100
Will Dickson <wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com wrote:
> > File systems:
> >
> > Everything is now working. I take the point over ReiserFS (although
> > I'm not sure why relations between Herr Reiser, his Frau and the
> > State Penal System should affect the code he wrote.
>
> It doesn't. However, it may well affect the number of devs available
> to do maintenance work going forward. This gives a risk: if some
> horrible bug turns up at some point in the future, and there are no
> devs available to fix it, then it may become necessary to perform an
> emergency migration away from ReiserFS, and Murphy's law implies that
> this will happen when you have the least resources available to deal
> with it.
>
> Sure, there are a lot of ifs in all of that, and the risk is quite
> small. However, that doesn't mean it's not worth thinking about. FWIW
> I used to use ReiserFS and never had any problems with it.

It is a good file system, and compared to ext2 I found it very capable.
However, I also find that XFS and ext3 are capable too. XFS is designed
around very large files - so it's ideal if you have lots of MP3/MPG/WAV
files, which can become very large (some might point out that txt files
can be very large also ... what's in a name?).

There is a good overview of the properties of file systems with nice
graphs here:

http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html

--
The dual T1 to 3rd floor is in a battle with the dark side because of a
memory leak in the lyris server. The Script Kiddy is charging the omega