[sclug] (Reiser)

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Mon Apr 28 20:59:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:38:34 +0100, ed wrote:

[ReiserFS]

: It is a good file system,

No.  It isn't.  Good filesystems should *never* lose data, and should
certainly never utterly screw themselves when running the recovery tool
over them when the filesystem happens to contain a file containing a
filesystem image.  ReiserFS will do this.  This is a fundamental failure.

I have no idea how many filesystems I have in files scattered around my
discs, but there are probably a few ReiserFS ones somewhere.  On ReiserFS
I'd be worried: the mere presence of those objects could trash the host
filesystem they live in.  If XFS or ext[23] had the same problem, I'd not
be running them, either.

: and compared to ext2 I found it very capable.
: However, I also find that XFS and ext3 are capable too. XFS is designed
: around very large files - so it's ideal if you have lots of MP3/MPG/WAV
: files, which can become very large (some might point out that txt files
: can be very large also ... what's in a name?).

I have some transport streams that work out to about 60GB; I use ZFS for
those :-)

: There is a good overview of the properties of file systems with nice
: graphs here:

: http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html

Seems to be timing out for me.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.