[sclug] Cable modem

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 13:01:11 UTC 2008

> I have looked at various newer models.  But I see from
> the Virginmedia site that only certain models are
> approved.  I know that new customers get a small cable
> modem box from Virgin, my sister has one.

> The Virgin boxes provide a USB port, not an ethernet port.

Virgin replaced my old cable modem back in October when it developed a fault.  The replacement one was a different (small) model, but it did have an ethernet port.  (They may have supplied an ethernet one because I was using the old one via ethernet).  I'd be surprised that they don't routinely offer an ethernet one when their own technical support site IIRC said that they were much better than USB.

Can't help you with your more technical questions - I wasn't around when the engineer replaced my old modem so I don't know if he had to register the new MAC address - but have you tried asking Virgin for a new modem with ethernet?  I would have thought your contract and monthly fee included a contribution for rental of the modem itself, rather like BT used to do with telephones.  If you did rent your old modem, and it's not allowing you to enjoy the service you have paid for, you should be able to persuade them to give you an upgrade.