[sclug] Cable modem

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 21:59:32 UTC 2008

Ed,

Thanks for all the answers people, I will chase up Virginmedia
and see what I can extract from tem.

> Chances are NTL/VirginMedia have been charging you the rental on the
> modem for some time, so they should have sent you one.

One of their web pages talks about the ability to own your
own cable modem not being available to new customers.

I never saw a bill pricing difference that took into account that fact
that I had my own cable modem.

> My friend paid a huge sum, something like 400quid about 8 years ago for
> a Terayon? modem. It paid for it self after a few years, but finally
> they announced they would no longer allow privately owned modems and
> everyone has to rent at which point they provided the modem.

I was one of the first people to sign up with
Cabletel -> NTL -> VirginMedia
and Farnborough was one of the two areas where they first rolled
out the service.  Customers were required to buy their own cable
modem.

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk
Applications Standards Conformance Testing    http://www.knosof.co.uk