[sclug] Simple WYSIWYG HTML editor?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 14:51:42 UTC 2008

Adam Trickett wrote:

> They serve a purpose if you want to quickly mock something up. If you use them
> without hand tweaking you have to accept that your pages will probably be
> some or all off:
> 1) Too big
> 2) Render tool slowly
> 3) Look wrong on some/all browsers
> 4) Probably not be fully accessible/usable
> 5) Cursed by the person who has to fix them after you
>
> HTML is easy if you want things too look right, then learn how to read/write
> it - it's not actually hard. If you are only making small changes to someone
> else's pages then fancy tool with probably break the pages anyway.

I've coded HTML pages by hand for years (before all this CSS malarkey
was invented!) but it was a PITA doing all the <tag> </taG> stuff even
when tags were concise like <b> rather than <span style="font-weight:
bold;"> and keeping track of it manually: that's just the sort of job
you need a computer for!

But I don't want some POS that puts in a load of eyecandy whether you
want it or not. My pages were once described[1] as dull looking, and I
want to keep them that way :-).

Actually oowriter seems to produce reasonably clean-looking HTML -
certainly compared with mozilla - though I haven't run it through a
validator yet. Really the only thing I want right now that oowriter and
mozilla don't do is that when I switch to view/edit source mode it puts
my cursor at the same position in the file instead of back at the top.

[1] by the Radio Times, no less, who should know :-)

--
John Stumbles