[sclug] Simple WYSIWYG HTML editor?

Adam Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Mon Mar 3 15:18:36 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 Mar 2008, John Stumbles wrote:
> Adam Trickett wrote:
> > They serve a purpose if you want to quickly mock something up. If you use
> > them without hand tweaking you have to accept that your pages will
> > probably be some or all off:
> > 1) Too big
> > 2) Render tool slowly
> > 3) Look wrong on some/all browsers
> > 4) Probably not be fully accessible/usable
> > 5) Cursed by the person who has to fix them after you
> >
> > HTML is easy if you want things too look right, then learn how to
> > read/write it - it's not actually hard. If you are only making small
> > changes to someone else's pages then fancy tool with probably break the
> > pages anyway.
>
> I've coded HTML pages by hand for years (before all this CSS malarkey
> was invented!)

What do you mean malarky, CSS make it easier?

> but it was a PITA doing all the <tag> </taG> stuff even
> when tags were concise like <b> rather than <span style="font-weight:
> bold;"> and keeping track of it manually: that's just the sort of job
> you need a computer for!

If you are using in-line styles then you are doing it very wrong. In-line
styles are what you get from automated tools, and a clear sign of poor
markup. Build you pages using only structural HTML, you are allowed the odd
class and id attribute, then use an external style sheet to add all the
eye-candy.

> But I don't want some POS that puts in a load of eyecandy whether you
> want it or not. My pages were once described[1] as dull looking, and I
> want to keep them that way :-).

Dull and functional is good, however that's not to say a little sprinkle of
css doesn't help. You do have webdeveloper and Firebug installed in your
Firefox? These are fantastic tools for web development. The nearest thing to
WYSIWYG.

Give Quanta+ or Bluefish a try, they are not that bad.

The WYSIWYG tools are okay for a rough mock-up or prototype, but to get
anything decent looking you need to tweak by hand.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
	-- anon