[sclug] Simple WYSIWYG HTML editor?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Mar 3 16:02:09 UTC 2008

Adam Trickett wrote:
[...]
> If you are using in-line styles then you are doing it very wrong. In-line
> styles are what you get from automated tools, and a clear sign of poor
> markup. Build you pages using only structural HTML, you are allowed the odd
> class and id attribute, then use an external style sheet to add all the
> eye-candy.

Yes, that's what I used to think... until I discovered that the CSS
layout algorithm is, ahem, rather simplistic and only works left-right
top-bottom. Which means that you can't put your variable sized header
bar after your body text in the HTML file, even though it's far more
useable that way for non-CSS readers.

In other words, implementation details of your CSS govern the layout and
structure of your HTML.

And if anyone can come up with a way of using CSS to say 'I want this
column to be wide enough to contain this string without wrapping it, but
no wider', or 'I want this box to be the same size as that box', I will
be a happy man.

--
David Given
dg at cowlark.com