[sclug] Simple WYSIWYG HTML editor?

Adam Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Mon Mar 3 22:32:36 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 Mar 2008, John Stumbles wrote:
> Adam Trickett wrote:
> > On Monday 03 Mar 2008, John Stumbles wrote:
> >
> > Actually modern xhtml is very simple, most of the nasty things added to
> > html have been removed/depractaed and the xml rules make xhtml easier to
> > work with as there are no ambiguities anymore. If you could do good html
> > from 2.0 era then you probably know enough html, all the fancy stuff is
> > in the css and the scripting.
>
> Any good learning sites you could recommend?

The W3C has all the specs, but it's very dry going. I'll have to think about
it and get back to you. I've got a bunch of O'Reilly books that I found
useful, after that it was a lot of perseverance...!

> >> As I said, I just want a simple no-nonsense tool. Like there used to be
> >> many years ago[1] for writing nicely structured non-HTML[2] docs where
> >> you typed away and if you wanted to fiddle with the markup there was a
> >> 'show codes' function[3]
> >
> > Try Quanta+ or Bluefish, they are both in the main Debian repositories.
> > I'm not 100% convinced that they are perfect, but they aren't that bad.
> > Quanta+ gets rave reviews but I don't think it's that good.
>
> Quanta didn't seem to have a way of showing me the rendered text (only
> the raw markup). Am I missing something?

I just checked a Quanta+ show rendered text on my Debian Lenny box using
Konqueror, and you can even edit the rendered text and when you switch back
to RAW your cursor is in the same place. It's not a tool I use a lot, the
magazines rave about it but I found it unstable in Debian Sarge, and I've not
used it much in Etch or Lenny. My partner uses it all the time and it's the
best she has found on Linux but not her favourite tool of all time.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

In the field of observation, chance favours only the
prepared minds.
	-- Louis Pasteur