[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 01:41:51 UTC 2008

Hi Phillip,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:04:46PM +0000, Phillip Chandler wrote:
> So you buy a tesco PC, spend some dosh online buying an upgrade to the
> memory. The linux community harps on about getting linux "In the face"
> of the general public, and getting publicity, but when they start to get
> it, the linux guys start whinging about who they do or dont want
> connected with selling linux boxes.

If Linux were as popular as many people in "The Linux Community"
would want, then I think "The Linux Community"'s opinions would be
largely irrelevant to the vast majority of Linux users, as The Linux
Community is always going to be a minority of enthusiasts.

But what I'm trying to say is, people who identify as part of T.L.C.
are likely already set aside from the general population in the
level of interest they have in technology, software freedom, digital
rights etc etc.  In a world where Linux was dominant, most of its
users would not consider themselves part of any Linux community,
rather just as computer users.  Windows users do not consider
themselves part of a "community" when they turn on their PC to edit
a letter or play a game, for example.

And there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Cheers,
Andy