[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Mar 11 12:40:13 UTC 2008

David Given wrote:
> I notice that Tesco Direct shows their 139 UKP Linux-based PCs back in
> stock. 2.66GHz Celeron D, 80GB HDD, 256MB RAM, etc.
>
> Did anyone here buy one of these last time? Any comments?

I did not buy a tesco item, but I did buy an esys cheapie from Dabs a
few years ago - 165 pounds all in incl delivery, with linux in it. I
put more ram in, and a couple of large HDs and it is still working ok.
  the linux as sold was not useful an dI had to sort out a correct
screen resolution first also.The build quality is cheap, the key
legends wear off quick, and such things. The speakers were unusable,
binned. It was good value for money though.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391