[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Jason Rivers jason.rivers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 09:40:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Phillip Chandler <
phillip.chandler at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> My understanding of Dual Core (pretty slim actually, but here goes) is
> that both are only used for things like multitasking and gaming etc. So
> theoretically if your a home user just wanting to do basic stuff like
> check email, surf, write letter to auntie Mildred in Australia, then
> dual core is a waste of money because to do the basics you would only be
> using one core. Therefore the 2nd core is redundant, the first one has
> to be running at 100% for other work to be transferred over to the send
> core. Dual core would also be perfect for places like NASA or a
> university doing vast computations.
>
> If your using one for burning a dvd and the second for playing doom 3,
> then dual core kicks in and works great. But who would be burning a dvd
> and playing doom while their waiting ?

urm.... me? - I do that alot - not Doom - but any game really, and they're
normally high end demanding games - but few of them support multi thredding
so are useless (effectively) on a dual core.

> So my thinking here is that when they advertise a machine as dual core
> with a speed of "X" which is based on both cores working, then
> technically if your only going to be a home user (as described above)
> then in my mind your not going to be getting the speed stated, your only
> going to get the speed of one core, ie half the speed.
>
> So the questions here are, do I sort of understand the concept of Dial
> Core ? Do I even sound like I know what Im going on about ? Is the idea
> above have some credibility ?

almost - the dual core systems don't top one core before using the second -
if I open application X - that kicks in and uses 60% of one core, then I
fire up application Y, depending on the Operating System - this will most
likely go over to Core 2, (and I don't mean an intel chip)

until games start using multiple threads - really there's no actual reason
to have a multi core CPU - as an end user at least.

Jason.