[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Phillip Chandler phillip.chandler at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 14 09:28:16 UTC 2008

My understanding of Dual Core (pretty slim actually, but here goes) is
that both are only used for things like multitasking and gaming etc. So
theoretically if your a home user just wanting to do basic stuff like
check email, surf, write letter to auntie Mildred in Australia, then
dual core is a waste of money because to do the basics you would only be
using one core. Therefore the 2nd core is redundant, the first one has
to be running at 100% for other work to be transferred over to the send
core. Dual core would also be perfect for places like NASA or a
university doing vast computations.

If your using one for burning a dvd and the second for playing doom 3,
then dual core kicks in and works great. But who would be burning a dvd
and playing doom while their waiting ?

So my thinking here is that when they advertise a machine as dual core
with a speed of "X" which is based on both cores working, then
technically if your only going to be a home user (as described above)
then in my mind your not going to be getting the speed stated, your only
going to get the speed of one core, ie half the speed.

So the questions here are, do I sort of understand the concept of Dial
Core ? Do I even sound like I know what Im going on about ? Is the idea
above have some credibility ?

Thanks