[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 11:04:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Benjamin Johnson wrote:

> Some of us see the need for closed source software - some don't. Some of us
> see the need for copyright - some don't. Neither of them are going away any
> time soon so we have to make the best out of them.

This may come as a surprise to some, but even Richard Stallman doesn't
advocate *abandonment* of copyright and other 'intellectual property' laws,
just a radical renegotiation of how they're organised so as to best benefit
humanity, in reaction to the changes in circumstances that have materialised
over the last 300 years or so, and in anticipation of likely future changes.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>