[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Mar 15 12:11:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:42:14AM +0000, Phillip Chandler wrote:
> So if the two rodneys who said the two comments up top, if you wanna get
> moralistic, fine, thats your privilege. I on the the hand dont give a
> rats arse if I use closed source, copyright software / drivers. Thats
> the freedom of choice, and if it means my computers work perfectly for
> me, then tough luck, Im using the non free closed source alternatives.
> Thats why you have the media repos (especially for ubuntu) because
> enough people have the same attitude as me.

Hi, I am apparently one of the "rodneys".

> > Copyright is evil and morally and ethically wrong.

My point was that copyright is required for Free Software (the licences
depend on it) in the same way that it's required for proprietary
software.  Saying it's "evil and morally and ethically wrong" doesn't
show much understanding of software licensing issues.

But you're misrepresenting my views when you say I'm getting moralistic.
I really don't mind what you run.  I like Free Software and I tend to
choose it in preference to proprietary software when it works but I'm
pragmatic.

--
 _        huggie at earth.li      -+*+-     fou, con et anglais      _
(_)  "Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable." - Monty Python  (_)