[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Phillip Chandler phillip.chandler at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 15 14:59:01 UTC 2008

Hi Simon.

My apologies if I mis-interpreted what you were saying, this is the
problem with emails, theres no emotion so no way of knowing if someone
is serious or joking.

Hi Alex.

Richard Stallman. Id read that he even refuses to have a mobile as he
has to give information to a company about himself, and that he lives on
site as a legit squatter ? From his own site and what Id read about him,
I get the impression that he totally refuses to use anything that is
closed source, proprietary etc, and to have anything that means having
info store on any database ????
Its unfortunate that unless your an illegal immigrant, and working for
back-handers, then you have no way of getting away from the fact, that
there is probably a hand full of official government databases out there
that contain info about a person. Im talking NI number, medical records,
voting register, DVLA, thats four databases for a start. The info about
where you have lived and worked since leaving school is available, even
what type of car you have driven since driving legally (You are legal
arnt you ?).

I can understand if Richard Stallman is saying that he wants to limit
the amount of info about himself, and say he refuses to go to Walmart
and get a free loyalty card etc. If thats what he's saying then I get
the picture. I maybe have misread his bio, I was under the assumption
that he totally hates copyright except the GPL thingy one that says you
are entitled to have the source code, modify it and then redistribute
without having to pay a penny to the original creator, as they have
licensed the product under the GPL.