[sclug] Comet Quad core offering - cheap high street commoditisation of computers

Jason Rivers jason.rivers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 08:45:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM, James Wyper <jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > So, anyone, any comment on these Comet/Curry's prices
> > for that Acer
> > quadcore for 499?
> >

> Can't comment on Comet but PC World are running a similar offer (499 for
> Philips HEPC 7511 Quad Core / 2GB / 360GB / Nvidia 8500 / 20" Brand X TFT).
>  I bought one yesterday; seems fine so far but I haven't tried booting
> Ubuntu yet (still setting up Windows for the better half).  On paper it was
> a better deal than anything else I could find ready built either on the high
> street or online.
>
> Happy to answer any detailed questions about this machine - and I have to
> say that Windows has come on a long way since my last PC (which ran 98
> admittedly).
>
> Incidentally, should I expect the 64-bit version of Ubuntu to work?

Yes, you should expect the 64bit to work, but ?10 says the version of MS
Bloatware you have is 32bit. why oh why are they still putting 32bit OS's on
64bit chips, it really bothers me... I've been running 64bit linux
for....... well..... years.... since before MS even came out with their
64bit XP...

Jason.