[sclug] Comet Quad core offering - cheap high street commoditisation of computers

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 09:41:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Jason Rivers wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM, James Wyper <jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Incidentally, should I expect the 64-bit version of Ubuntu to work?
>>

> Yes, you should expect the 64bit to work, but ?10 says the version of MS
> Bloatware you have is 32bit. why oh why are they still putting 32bit OS's on
> 64bit chips, it really bothers me...

a) Because lots of third-party drivers still have yet to be validated or
supplied for Windows x64.

b) Because very few end-users have the need for processes to grow to be more
than 3GB in size (and very few systems will have more than 3GB RAM anyway).

> I've been running 64bit linux for....... well..... years.... since before
> MS even came out with their 64bit XP...

I first touched 64 bit Linux in 1997, courtesy of my employer who was
selling RH4 and RH5 on DEC Alpha machines... I didn't really have any need
of it until 2004, though, when I was building a Gbit-capable NIDS and wanted
a 1GByte ring buffer for Snort/libpcap and a SQL database with millions of
NIDS events in it.

> Jason.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>