[sclug] Mail to reply always goes wrong on sclug

Martin Meredith martin at sourceguru.net
Wed Mar 19 15:14:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 14:48 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:
> Martin Meredith wrote:
> > I don't see what the issue is with just having the Reply-To header on
> > here? Most places do - and it's just a mailman option.
>
> This keeps coming round here. Google for 'reply-to considered harmful'
> or something like that for the arguments, but it basically boils down to
> Reply-To is supposed (by Law, i.e. RFC) to be used to get back to the
> originator of the message if their From: address can't be used for that,
> and if your MUA doesn't let you easily reply to a list rather than the
> originator then it's borked and you should get a new MUA!
>
> Which has just reminded me why I was trying to migrate from Mozilla to
> Sylpheed, but since I've just subscribed to 'sclugr' and unsubscribed
> from 'sclug' it's a bit pointless now :-/
>
> (Except that mozilla has decided to crash after every time I've sent a
> message, so it's getting a bit of a pita.)

I habitually hit "reply all" anyway, so it's no problem for me. But from
a quick glance over the mailings in this list, there seemed to be a few
things about "having to write scripts" to be able to work on both lists,
or similar.

Simple thing is - no you don't. Send an email to
sclugr-subscribe at sclug.org.uk to subscribe to the sclugr list (and have
your reply to headers munged) and then switch recieving email off for
the mailing list you're on by sending "set nomail on <yourpass>" to
sclug-request at sclug.org.uk

Or do it through the web interface.

Nomail is there for a good reason (I use it for allowing automated posts
through to subscriber only lists :D)