[sclug] Free computer

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Mon Mar 24 15:19:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:47:52 +0000, David Given wrote:
: I have a computer to give away! No, it's not the Tesco one.

: I am the proud owner of an Acorn Risc PC serial number 72-ACB15-1010373.
:  It's got 10base2 ethernet (read that carefully), the 16-bit sound
: upgrade, the 30MHz ARM610 processor upgrade, the 486SX processor
: upgrade, the RiscOS 3 ROM upgrade, a 210MB hard disc containing...
: stuff, an official Acorn PS/2 keyboard but I think I've lost the
: proprietary mouse, and a whole 14MB of memory in two different kinds.

I think I have two of them :-)

: Alas, I'm not sure it boots properly. It powers up to the Supervisor
: command prompt, but the desktop won't start (presenting you with a blank
: dialogue with a 'Cancel' button), and half the modules (like ADFS) don't
: seem to be there. I'm not sure whether that's because the CMOS battery
: is so flat it's practically Flatlandian, or whether it's because I don't
: have the right kind of mouse, or the right kind of monitor (finding one
: sufficiently low-tech to work was a challenge), or whether it's
: symptomatic of more subtle damage, but my Acorn skills are too old to
: diagnose this. But BASIC does work.

Delete-poweron.  It'll clear the CMOS.

: So... would anyone like this? It's a classic, one of the computers of
: the old UK tradition that made the British Empire what it is today;
: however, if you want to run a modern operating system on it, or run
: modern software, or use modern networking protocols, or indeed do
: anything *useful* on it, you're probably a bit out of luck.

: Oh, yes... it does run Linux.

: Very, very slowly.

I know the chap who ported it :-)

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.