[sclug] Digital TV card and channel recognition

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Fri Dec 11 18:30:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 18:17:23 +0000, David Given wrote:
: On 11/12/09 17:27, Dickon Hood wrote:
: [...]
: > (use your transmitter; you're not on Crystal Palace, clearly) is what you
: > want.

: What's the best way of figuring out what transmitter I'm on?

IME, a compass and a map.  Use the compass to see where your aerial is
pointing, and locate anything likely-looking on the map.

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/> has a postcode checker, which is likely
to tell you.  Gets mine right, and I'm supposedly borderline Crystal
Palace and (IIRC) Hannington.

: Commercial STBs don't appear to need to know, instead doing a
: brute-force frequency search looking for multiplexes. Is there a way of
: doing this instead?

Yes.  You can cat the whole of /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-* into one file,
and pass that instead.  There's another tool called 'w_scan' which
allegedly will do something similar, but I've never used it.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.