[sclug] Digital TV card and channel recognition

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Dec 11 19:03:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, David Given wrote:

> On 11/12/09 17:27, Dickon Hood wrote:
> [...]
>> (use your transmitter; you're not on Crystal Palace, clearly) is what you
>> want.
>
> What's the best way of figuring out what transmitter I'm on?
>
> Commercial STBs don't appear to need to know, instead doing a
> brute-force frequency search looking for multiplexes.

Tell that to my Panasonic DVB-T TV. :-)

> Is there a way of doing this instead?

I /think/ once you've found one multiplex (e.g. via a manual seed, or brute
force scanning), there's information to tell the STB what channels the rest
are on. Failing that, <http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php> might help. I
suspect Hannington will be best for most people in SCLUG.

HTH,
Alex