[sclug] another ubuntu mystery..

Darren Davison darren at davisononline.org
Sat Feb 28 12:23:49 UTC 2009

I've recently noticed another oddity with Ubuntu 8.10 that I can't seem
to get any sense from their forums or google on.

My wife and I both log in to different X sessions on different vt's (via
"Switch User" which I think invokes gdmflexiserver) and then we tend
just to remain logged in, switching between sessions with CtrlAltF7/F9
as needed.

However, if the second session logs out, terminating the gdm/X setup on
vt9, then the next time "Switch User" is run to create a new session,
the gdm login page will accept no mouse or keyboard input.  I can still
switch between the vt's without any problem, and the original session on
vt7 continues to operate normally. But no other key/mouse activity is
displayed on vt9 - things like CtrlAltBkspace also fail to elicit a
response.

If I then kill the second session (by terminating gdm or X on vt9 from
the vt7 session) and then switch to vt9, I see the keyboard presses that
had been attempted on the gdm screen sitting there on the otherwise
empty console (which then fails to respond to any further keyboard
activity).

Anyone able to assist in troubleshooting this one??

Many thanks (again),

--
Darren Davison
Public Key: 0xE855B3EA