[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 72, Issue 4

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Fri Sep 11 12:49:57 UTC 2009

Neil Haughton wrote:
>> I like your analogy but your argument miss's one important difference
>> between tracks and rubber wheels. They can drive around each other.
>>

> Can't say I've noticed much of that when I commute by car. Roads have edges,
> too.
>
> Tracks are managed to avoid congestion and have passing lanes too. Rubber
> wheels are controlled by people - their downfall, mostly. And the safety
> record of people in cars is how good? Not very.
>
> Neil.

http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/transport-fact-sheet-2.htm

"The main conclusion is that, system-wide, including trespassers but not
suicides, the deaths per passenger-km by rail are over 50% above that
for the strategic road network."  (strategic road network is motorways
and A roads, which is the part of the network comparable to train tracks.)

Many more people die on the roads, because they currently carry 92% of
all land passenger miles.

TCA