[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 72, Issue 4

Sean Furey sean-lists-sclug at furey.me.uk
Fri Sep 11 12:55:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 01:49:57PM +0100, Tom Carbert-Allen wrote:
> "The main conclusion is that, system-wide, including trespassers but not
> suicides, the deaths per passenger-km by rail are over 50% above that
> for the strategic road network."  (strategic road network is motorways
> and A roads, which is the part of the network comparable to train tracks.)

Justification for including trespassers?  Not that I believe they should
die, but I find it difficult to compare one system resulting in the
death of someone who shouldn't have been there (trespasser) with another
system resulting in the deat of someone who had no real choice (person
who had to cross the A-road to get from A to B).

Sean