[sclug] Meets

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Tue Sep 15 09:17:37 UTC 2009

Personally I love the current meet up, it's very informal and a good
drinking session, a great wind down from the stress of work. Although,
as with LUG radio (RIP) it is a bit of a Ubuntu users fan club rather
than a technical group.

I also think there is also a place for a more technical meeting. Have
been to other LUG's in meeting rooms (shock, no bar in sight) with
presentations and planned discussion topics and learnt a lot there. But
these tend to be connected to groups who are regular contributors to the
projects rather than users. I even did a 10 min presentation on using
iptables for load balancing web servers a couple of years ago, and
really enjoyed the Q and A afterwards were I feel I learnt as much as I
offered, so everyone walked away a winner.

I suppose the question is, is there any other people in SCLUG interested
in this? Anyone who is contributing to open source projects currently
and would like to do a presentation and get feedback from the rest of
the group and maybe sign up some more of us to join your project?

I am more than happy to do semi formal workshops on server side
components. Load balance, clustering, fail over, replication, upgrading
applications without down time, SAN/NAS etc if anyone is interested in
learning or just discussing different approach's to these topics? Linux
has such an amazing block layer there are so many things can be done on
the disk and network side in the server room which other vendors will
sell you a ten grand black box for when we already have all the pieces
in every Linux machine!

TCA