[sclug] Mirror disks across machines like distributed RAID?

Simon Reap simon at simonreap.com
Wed Jan 6 18:46:25 UTC 2010

Dickon Hood wrote:
> How does DRBD help you in this situation?  You can't mount the same
> filesystem on two hosts, remember.
>
> I'd probably do something with NFS or the like.

I do this commercially for big telecoms operators.  We currently use
HP's ServiceGuard or RedHat Clustering to have highly-available
NFS-shared disks, and those disks are then mounted on all of the clients
(up to 11).  The disks themselves are on a SAN (EMC or EVA), so it is
not a cheap solution, but when a few minutes of messaging can generates
tens of thousands of dollars, cost is less of a problem.

Some people have suggested using XFS instead of NFS - has anyone tried this?

Simon