[sclug] Mirror disks across machines like distributed RAID?

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Wed Jan 6 19:49:31 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 6:34, Dickon Hood wrote:
> How does DRBD help you in this situation?  You can't mount the same
> filesystem on two hosts, remember.

Erm, you can and we do; OCFS2 was created exactly for that reason. This
is how Oracle redundant application cluster works (well they still
support ASM too but that is basically the same thing but Oracle apps
only instead of a Linux file system).
Two nodes sharing one cluster-ready file system is the new replication.
That layer then sits on a shared medium, be that either a SAN or SAN
array or DRBD device.

As an aside, I have tested Oracle RAC extensively for performance on
OCFS2 on DRBD local disks compared to FC SAN's and found not only does
DRBD save you money, space, power and maintenance. It is also much
faster for the same amount of disks. In some test the IOPS went up 40%
on the exact same disks!
> I'd probably do something with NFS or the like.

Which is served from what? A single point of failure server? A expensive
EMC array which is basically doing exactly what DRBD does but for
infinite times more cost? The question is, are your cluster of front end
servers there just for capacity or redundancy, because for redundancy
your disk system has to be redundant too otherwise there is no point.

DRBD is about ensuring your NFS server or you OCFS2 servers underlying
block device stays on line by way of having two copies of the data which
can both continue to work should the other fail. Just like the OP
subjest line, it's one step up from software raid, it's software raid
with 100% separate hardware for each part of the mirror. It also helps
that this then means each half of the mirror is local to each machine,
and the CPU load is almost non-existent and the speed of magnetic disks
so you can integrate your redundant storage array into a pair of your
next layer nodes and remove the round trip time on reads.

The bottom line is we should all rejoice that what you used to have to
pay EMC $xxxxx  for is now in our favourite mainline kernel totally for
free with no extra hardware! Just like you couldn't have RAID before
unless you bought a card which cost as much as your motherboard, but now
anyone can have a nice mirror for just the price of the drives.
Not everyone will use it, but those of us that do are very happy and
want to let everyone know they can do it too for no cost!!!

TCA