[sclug] OS crash whne using flash on full screen mode

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 08:50:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Olivier Lauret wrote:

> Just wanted to know if someone could help me debugging a flash issue on
> Ubuntu 10.4.
>
> When I'm watching a flash video on full screen mode (happens for many
> sites), the computer is crashing (simply stop as if you press the power
> button) about 15 minutes after the start of the video. If I'm not watching
> it on full screen mode, everything is OK. I have no idea where to look to
> understand the problem. I have the latest Flash version.

Almost certainly either an Xorg, video driver or kernel problem, and Flash
is just tickling it.

Have you examined /var/log/messages and /var/log/Xorg.0.log* ?

Have you applied all Ubuntu's updates? Have you searched
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/>?

What video chipset and driver are you using? Is it up-to-date? Have you read
the release notes for it to see if there are any settings which may affect
the stability/performance balance?  Have you tried alternative drivers that
support the same chipset?

> Regards,
> Olivier

HTH,