[sclug] sclug Digest, OS crash when using flash on full screen mode

Graham Swallow lists at information-cascade.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 12:32:27 UTC 2010

>   1. Re: OS crash whne using flash on full screen mode

Does the box crash, or does X11 lockup ?
Try ping, ssh, etc, from another box.

I had an issue with screen lockups whilst using a different Intel chipset,
(--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:29c2:1043:82b0 Intel Corporation 82G33/G31
Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 16, Mem @
0xfea........................

But it all changed when I changed the "uxa" option, by editing
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
# uxa makes GL work (GoogleEarth) but Crashes Keyboard
#        Option        "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Since then I have auto/upgraded the ubuntu version a lot,
and now it is no-longer true (whatever it was - I forget).
Currently it appears to be commented out, but GoogleEarth runs fine
(apart from the fact that it uses the opposite zoom from google maps,
as if they dont know if they are coming or going).

I seem to recall finding something on the Ubuntu forums,
a long time ago, and they have probably upgraded away from /etc/X11/xorg.conf,
or maybe by now, the orbit has circled, and its back on ....
I hope this gives you something to search for
(using google, they do know where everyone has been ;-)

Graham