[sclug] OS crash whne using flash on full screen mode

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Tue Jul 13 09:05:06 UTC 2010

On 13/07/2010 8:23, Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Olivier Lauret wrote:
>
>> Regarding the type of crash, it is a hard crash as if you take the
>> plug of
>> the socket or you pressed the off button. Could it be related to the CPU
>> which is over heating? As well, the crash doesn't happen all the time is
>> cannot be reproduced all the time with the same flash video. At the
>> moment,
>> it happens only when viewing a flash video on full screen mode.
>
> Almost certainly not the CPU overheating; modern CPUs should throttle
> their
> clockspeed when they overheat.
>
>> Could not identify the issue with the links Alex mentioned, but this is
>> probably because I know exactly what I'm looking for.
>
> My money's on a bug in the Intel driver, most likely in its Xv (aka
> XVideo)
> code, so look at those launchpad entries. Some of them, along with one of
> the respondents here, reported improvements after changing the
> acceleration
> architecture (XAA, EXA and UXA are the keywords - it changes so much I
> can't
> keep it straight in my head, and have never needed to tinker)
>
> HTH,
> Alex

It may not be overheating, as this is rare these days as you say (well
apart from if your ambient case temp is too high. The throttling is only
based on main gpu temp sensor, the ram could overheat and the card would
have no idea)
My first thought was power issues certainly match the symptoms: full
lock up, not reliably reproducible, only in full screen gcard
acceleration application
What is the hardware? ebay white box special with $5 "gold" PSU?
Replaced the graphics card with a more powerful one and not changed the
power supply to match? Connected ALL the power connectors on the
graphics card? I have seen all those issues in the past cause similar
problems, although normally when gaming, but full screen video
acceleration will increase the power consumption quite a lot too. It
only takes a microsecond of disruption on the power lines to crash most
motherboards. This normally happens with ati/nvidia cards though, intel
ones aren't normally meaty enough to draw enough power to cause a
problem, although I have seen it happen once on an intel card where it
would work fine in a gcard burn in test but always crash in a certain
spot in a game (burn in test only did continuous heavy load where I
suspect it was the spiky load in the game which caused the power supply
to cry) but a nice new OCZ power supply later and it worked fine with
the same drivers.
Another thing to check is if any of the caps are bulging or leaking....

TCA