[sclug] OS crash whne using flash on full screen mode

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 07:23:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Olivier Lauret wrote:

> Regarding the type of crash, it is a hard crash as if you take the plug of
> the socket or you pressed the off button. Could it be related to the CPU
> which is over heating? As well, the crash doesn't happen all the time is
> cannot be reproduced all the time with the same flash video. At the moment,
> it happens only when viewing a flash video on full screen mode.

Almost certainly not the CPU overheating; modern CPUs should throttle their
clockspeed when they overheat.

> Could not identify the issue with the links Alex mentioned, but this is
> probably because I know exactly what I'm looking for.

My money's on a bug in the Intel driver, most likely in its Xv (aka XVideo)
code, so look at those launchpad entries. Some of them, along with one of
the respondents here, reported improvements after changing the acceleration
architecture (XAA, EXA and UXA are the keywords - it changes so much I can't
keep it straight in my head, and have never needed to tinker)

HTH,
Alex