[sclug] Ubuntu 10.10

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Oct 14 09:51:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:17:42 +0100, Ian Park <i.d.c.park at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip, Juanjo - it hadn't occurred to me to use the normal
> desktop. However, as you point out, that wouldn't make my Aspire One any
> more responsive, and it was *definitely* a lot slower than with Lucid.
> Now that I'm back on the air(!) with Lucid, I'm reluctant to spend
> another few hours re-installing Maverick.

Next time you're tempted, you might want to give Debian a spin.

Since you're clearly unhappy with the direction that Ubuntu's going, it
makes more sense to start from "the source", and do the small amount of
work that it is likely to take (these days) to get Debian to act like
previous versions of Ubuntu, than it is to stick with Ubuntu and have to
do steadily more work to revert the work they are putting in to modify
the user experience -- it's very unlikely that Debian will ever attempt
a similar expedition into uncharted UI territory (or if it does it'll be
by adding new packages but also maintaining the old ones).

Also, given that Debian is properly upgradable, once you've got things
set the way you like them there should never be a reason to do a
reinstall after that (unless you fancy starting from scratch for some
reason).

I wouldn't normally try to push Ubuntu users towards Debian, as those
that it's liable to suit are quite likely to find it on their own
anyway, and doing so might give an impression of strife between the
developers that doesn't really exist, but given that you're clearly not
getting on with the new Ubuntu stuff, you might want to have a look at
Debian, particularly once the next release (codename "Squeeze") finally
gets released.

I'd imagine this would be the place to start:

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne

Cheers, Phil.