[sclug] Mailing lists that cc you

Sean Furey sean-lists-sclug at furey.me.uk
Fri Sep 3 10:00:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:26:54AM +0100, David Given wrote:
> I'm on a mailing list where the users insist on using 'reply all' to
> send messages. The server is then hacked not to send me the copy of the
> message when it sees that I've already received it directly.

Sign up using two email addresses.  Post from one, and drop all
inbound mail on that address that contains the list headers.  Use the
second as a receive-only address, that will filter correctly.

With the above setup I think you'll be left in the same position as
you would have been if they mailing list didn't have the broken
behaviour.  You'll still get additional Cc:s, but only in the same
manner you'd get on SCLUG.  It's a bit hacky though...

Sean