[sclug] Mailing lists that cc you

Tom Gamble tom at weardale.cl
Fri Sep 3 16:46:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 10:51 +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:26:54AM +0100, David Given wrote:
> > I'm on a mailing list where the users insist on using 'reply all' to
> > send messages. The server is then hacked not to send me the copy of the
> > message when it sees that I've already received it directly.
>
> Wow that's a special and new way to break mailing lists.

I think you will find it is a standard feature of mailman:-

"Avoid duplicate copies of messages?"

When I look at the sclug server I see a "Set Globally" since I'm the
admin for the server. I think normal list members can switch the option
off even if set globally.

> > Does anyone know if there's an easy way to persuade Thunderbird that
> > such messages belong to a specific mailing list? Any attempt to persuade
> > people not to cc me because, like, I'm already on the list, just results
> > in snotty replies that 'my MUA should be able to cope'. Any suggestions
> > as to how I can make it cope?
>
> I think this sort of thing is normally solved in procmail.
> Can you arrange to spawn procmail over your mailbox before thunderbird
> gets to it?

> 0 fhw
> * ^TO.*listname at idiots.com
> | formail -I "List-Id: <listname at idiots.com>"

I have used this method myself for a list that was miss-configured.

tom.