[sclug] 99 channels and nothing on...

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 29 12:31:07 UTC 2010

> During the strong winds last year our dish was blown out of satellite
> alignment. Ok, I said, we'll just watch the recorded content. But a sky box
> will not play any recorded programs without an active feed. I imagine it's
> designed to stop you filling a box up and sending the disk off to a friend
> outside the UK.

That's just about typical of Sky's attitude to customers. When they can't
supply you with a signal (and this occurs in bad weather as well) you can't
watch recorded stuff either.  How logical is that? They could, I am sure,
easily encrypt the content in a way that ties it to your own box or card, if
they could be bothered, in order to protect the content from distribution.
 But why bother when there's not much competition?

Have you noticed that whilst it is screamingly easy to subscribe to
additional services online, it is almost impossible to unsubscribe the same
way? You have to do it over the usual appallingly tedious telephone service,
and in my experience several times before they get the message. I've had
more arguments with them over that than I care to mention.

If it weren't for my wife and our poor Freeview reception I would cheerfully
kick Sky into touch, but she likes the service so that's that for me. :-(

It's a funny old world.

Neil.