[sclug] Could you change the fonts on Bios via the video card?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Jun 7 22:11:19 UTC 2011

On 07/06/11 20:12, Krishna Birth wrote:
> I want to change the font on the Bios which is separate from the
> operating system.  Have any LUG members experience with changing the
> font on Bios via the video card?

I have enough experience to know not to --- it's baked into the boot
ROM. While on a modern motherboard you *can* reflash the boot ROM, if
you get it even the slightest bit wrong you've wrecked the motherboard.

That said:

http://www.coreboot.org

But you have to be really, really careful, and even if your motherboard
*is* supported, you still need to be comfortable with hacking the boot
sequence code.

--
?