[sclug] Introducing myself.

Ross Rodwell ross_r at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 20:02:51 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

My name's Ross. I live just outside Maidenhead (in Dorney for those of you who know/have heard of it). I've been a casual Ubuntu user for over a year now and I am just about to finish a degree in computer science. At this point I have decided I would like to become a Sysadmin. I've started studying for my LPIC-1 and I'm using my Debian and CentOS systems to help me get through that.

I am also searching for employment now. Even many junior Sysadmin roles (at least from job advertisements I have seen recently) require a substantial amount of experience, so I am trying to get myself bootstrapped.

I will be setting up a Linux based network at home, I am also keeping an eye out for voluntary/charity work that I can do. Does anyone know of any other avenues in which I would be able to obtain more experience? Are there any activities this group/members of this group are involved in that I can also take part in? I'm so desperate to get some experience :-)

Kind Regards,

Ross Rodwell