[sclug] Bring Your Own Server

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sun Jun 12 15:37:22 UTC 2011

On 12/06/11 11:48, Krishna Birth wrote:
> I am not a techie and thus could any expert please say if there are
> any data centres in GB offering inexpensive, 'Bring Your Own Server'
> service with possibility to set up the India holy river water cooled
> PC into a server for hosting websites?

Data centres where you bring your own hardware are going to be loads
more expensive than simply renting a virtual machine off the cloud.

For example, gandi.net's basic hosting is 9.50 UKP per month (plus VAT).
This gets you one dedicated core, 256MB RAM, 8GB storage and about one
and a half terabytes of bandwidth a month. This is more than adequate to
run most web sites.

What you're looking for is colocation, where you supply the hardware and
they hook it up. This will cost you more like 50 UKP a month (and may
involve hefty setup fees too). Also, bear in mind that you'll need to
provide server-grade 1U hardware, not a consumer box.

If you're set on using your own hardware (I gather that one of your
requirements is to use a particular kind of water for the cooling,
right?) your cheapest option is to get consumer broadband with a static
IP address and run the server at home. I run cowlark.com like this (off
a very small SheevaPlug) using A&A and it's entirely successful. This
will cost you about 20-30 UKP a month, but of course, you'll probably be
wanting home broadband anyway...

--
?