[sclug] Bring Your Own Server

Jacqui Caren-home jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 13 09:37:30 UTC 2011

On 12/06/2011 11:48, Krishna Birth wrote:
> I am not a techie and thus could any expert please say if there are
> any data centres in GB offering inexpensive, 'Bring Your Own Server'
> service with possibility to set up the India holy river water cooled
> PC into a server for hosting websites?  Sorry if this mailing list
> post is a bit different to the what you are used to.

There are plenty of places that will allow you to bring your own hardware
but you usually purchase the space by the rack or "half rack".
Personally I have never trusted the idea of sharing a rack.

Someone with a rack *may* be interested in allowing yu to use thier
spare U's but you have three things going against you.

1) water cooling in an air conn'd data centre is a no-no and *should* be a waste!
2) the above infers high loads - again a no-no
3) the above suggests you will need high traffic.

You may get someone to offer you thier bottom of the rack
slot but most racks I have seen have the UPS etc fitted in the base
and a coolant leak would get seriously expensive.

To cover themselves most people would expect you to not just state you
will cover any losses/costs but place funds in escrow to ensure you can and
will cover them.

In the end it will probably be cheaper to hire a rack of your own
or if you live in the right place pay for dark fibre - depending upon
your bandwidth needs.

At home here, I have 50Mb/5Mb cable link (virgin) - high latency but very good
throughput with no limits. Perhaps going "virgin" would meet your needs?

Jacqui