[sclug] [OT] Where does apt keep its list of installed software?

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Tue Oct 25 14:28:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 15:16:33 +0100, Ian Park wrote:
: Hi all

: I'm afraid I've rather sawn off the branch I was sitting on...

: I updated my Acer Aspire One to the latest version of Ubuntu ("Oneiric
: Ocelot", v11.10) and found that I could no longer boot into the classic
: Ubuntu interface(I dislike Unity). I made the mistake of applying some
: tweaks to get back to the classic Gnome interface and re-booted, only to
: find that it now hangs at the Ubuntu splash screen. I'd more or less
: made up my mind to install Debian Squeeze and junk Ubuntu, but I really
: want to back up the list of apps I'd installed. All the searching I've
: done has led me to instructions on how to use apt-get or Synaptic to
: produce a list of installed software, but that isn't a lot of help if I
: can't boot into the Ubuntu system...

: I have a USB CD writer/DVD reader drive, so I've been able to boot a
: live version of Debian, but the problem is I don't know where to find
: the file in the Ubuntu filesystem which stores the list of installed
: software. Can anyone help please?

Mount your filesystems somewhere, chroot into it, "dpkg --get-selections |
grep ' installed' > /tmp/installed", leave the chroot, copy that file
somewhere useful.  To use it, 'dpkg --set-selections < /tmp/installed &&
apt-get dselect-upgrade'.

: Thanks in advance for any help

Good luck.  Not all Ubuntu packages have the same names as their Debian
counterparts, so you may have some issues doing a straight import like
that.  IMLE it tends to mostly work, however.

Dickon Hood
--
Due to unending piles of junk mail, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.